Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 August 2017

Namaqualand is BLOOMING beautiful!

It has only been a couple of days since I reported that the veld was budding but not yet blooming here on the coastal town of Hondeklipbaai in Namaqualand. Well, I am happy to report that the veld is making true on its promises and that everywhere the flowers are making an appearance. Even though this was not the focus of my photography session yesterday, I could not help being in awe of the emerging beauty surrounding me. I took a couple of quick snap shots to capture the moment between buds and full bloom, and just as well that I did, for in the early hours of this morning, we were blessed with gentle rain. The wind had also quieted down and the weather turned slightly warmer. I am told this was all that was needed for the veld to burst into full bloom. I can hardly wait to get out there. In the meantime, I'll leave you with these tidbits of blooms as proof that now is the time to pack it in and head for Namaqualand - those of you who haven't done so yet!

This bush didn't get the memo that it wasn't supposed to be in full bloom yet

These white beauties made me think of brides decking themselves out for the big day 

 I found these little faces lifted up high in exultant smiles

These buds are not quite open as yet, but just see the brilliant colours lurking away inside 

With most of the veld decked in yellow around Hondeklipbaai, I was happy to find these purple bushes. Little did I know how many more of these, and others like it, I would come across. 

As a child, my mom had a dry bouquet of these in the house. I felt blessed to find them restored to their rightful live beauty here in the veld. 

More purple splendour 

This one is asking me to hold my breath in anticipation of what is to come. 

At first the leaves fascinated me, and then I noticed the details on the flowers. I almost rushed home to get my paints and brushes! 

How easy it would be to walk past these without even realizing they were there. They almost seem other-worldly, as if they belong in the ocean, rather than next to it. 

From the plant itself, right to the tips of the petals, this burgundy beauty prances in splendour 

It was Ms Scarlet in the veld with a trumpet! 

A pale palette of prettiness to welcome visitors 

The battery on my camera was giving in, but I managed to snap a couple of orange blooms among the shells before leaving off

On a parting note, it is not only the veld getting ready for visitors to Namaqualand. The local butcher here in Hondeklipbaai, Willem from Suidwester Butchery and Bakery, is also making sure there is plenty of 'padkos' for visitors to feast on.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - iekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment